Sunday, July 24, 2011

You All Knew I Was No Good...

I've had songs from Back to Black on my mind all day. When celebrities die - as they often do after year-long dalliances with drugs and booze- I don't usually feel very sad at all. They're a dime a dozen. But Winehouse was one of my favourite artists this decade, arguably one of the most talented musicians to emerge since Ella Fitzgerald and Janis Joplin, and a major fuck-up. A beautiful, tragic fuck-up, almost. Great biography material. Now, with her untimely but inevitable death on Saturday, the troubled soul singer from London has joined Kurt Cobain, Joplin, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix as the newest addition to the infamous '27 Club.'
As a tribute to Winehouse, her official website now displays only this photograph of the late singer, in memory of her rapid rise and tragic fall.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...