Sunday, June 19, 2011

Worth A Hundreds Yards of This?

As soon as my fingers skimmed over the Egyptian cottom duvet and pillow set in a luxury department store yesterday afternoon, I realised that such fineries can only be afforded once you've endured many nights' sleep under the fibrous folds of polycotton.


At first I imagined what I could be, who I could become if I owned some of that beautiful stuff.  Famous people sleep in sheets of Egyptian cotton, which  is also Egypt's prize export. Perhaps I could pretend I was famous too. Once I can proudly say that I sleep on sheets of sheer heaven every night, I thought to myself, I will surely be somebody of note and worth taking seriously.



Yes, with a sting in my heart I ignored the first impulses of desire coursing through my body as I gazed upon the luxurious fabric - and its cringeworthy price-tag. Such comfort and quality, I realised with dismay, comes only to those who can afford to buy it. The rest of us, well - we'll have to stick to 35% cotton textiles and a thread-counting budget.



My conclusion: most of us will never own sheets of Egyptian cotton in our lifetimes. In fact, many in the world today don't have a bed at all, let alone a sheet with which to cover it. It's dog-eat-dog out there, children. You'll either end up warm and comforted in sheets of Egyptian cotton, or you'll end up harvesting it so the lucky ones can.

What'll it be?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...