Sunday, June 8, 2008

it's the end of the world (as we know it)

I live in a fishing village. Living here a while, you get used to the fishy smells from factories down at the harbor. Rusty old trawlers going out empty and returning plentiful. You can wake up one morning and smell the sea, or fish smells in your kitchen. Down by the quayside you can hear a seaman’s cursing on the air; a place of nautical treasures and take away cafes.

I’m anti this town. I’m sick to death of being a small town girl. I’m sick of this small town talk. Everywhere I go it’s Hout Bay this or Hout Bay that. I long for the city. There’s a lot of love about this place, the Cape, where I live… things I could capture with my camera. The colour, the noise and the audacity of this place. But I need more. I want to get out of the Bay and into the global society

Drunken people are easier to talk to, I guess because they won’t remember anything, and will think I’m pretty anyway. I am surrounded by people with an identity crisis.

One of my favorite politicians is Al Gore, who made an Oscar-winning documentary about global warming and demonstrated the rise in fuel consumptions by hitching a ride on a movable step ladder.
Jacob Zuma, with a merit of no formal education, proclaims that showering after unprotected sex will prevent you from contracting HIV. That’s promising. A man that may one day become our country’s president is only popular with his own tribe, who pledge their allegiance to him on the basis of, “He’s a Zulu, so we'll follow this guy.”
And the ANC, well, here’s to a bunch of self-important slurring black politicians, full of themselves because they think they won the struggle… well sorry, you have a lot of mess to clean up around here, boys.

I am purposefully politically incorrect, because why shouldn’t we be able to SAY IT HOW IT IS?? I’m so irritated by the propaganda of our educations system, attempting to brainwash the post-1994 generation in order to compensate for the evils of apartheid. Our society is extreme – we condone violence and sexual profanities in film and media, children with guns, yet become absurd and hypersensitive about potentially offensive terms, such that we have to think up nonsensical euphemisms for the most specific concepts that probably wouldn’t have bothered anyone in the first place had they just been left as they were.

“Where does all this stuff that you’ve heard about this morning – the victim feminism, the gay rights movement, the invented statistics, the rewritten history, the lies, the demands, all the rest of it – where does it come from? For the first time in our history, Americans have to be fearful of what they say, of what they write, and of what they think. They have to be afraid of using the wrong word, a word denounced as offensive or insensitive, or racist, sexist, or homophobic.”

Our text books tell us to be citizen of new South Africa for the empowerment and betterment of new society, but for what? To revive the cultural retardation that the majority is inflicted with? The majority being blacks, by the way. Leave the brains to the colonists, I say.
I’m so tired of this Black Economic Empowerment nonsense, and how they have to rub in their previously disadvantaged-ness. We can’t help everyone just because we drive a car and have pale skin. Does this all come down to how much melanin we have in our complexions? Those people at traffic lights tapping on your window and asking for change…but really, they’re not asking for coins. They want change.

As for George Bush, well, if ever I was interested in politics it was because of old Georgie. And he’s good for cartoons.
So here’s the thing. Is ‘War on Terrorism’ just another nom de plum for “Let’s raid those guys and see what oil they got down there, y’all”? George Bush is my home boy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...