Thursday, June 25, 2009

you can never hold back Spring

i wondered if anyone from our graduation class had read or started reading that book they gave us at our valedictory, don't waste your life by john piper. it is motivational book based on christian principles. not being very religious myself i was surprised that i picked it up today. but that's not the subject of today's post.

despite all that has happened, these past three months being the longest as such i have ever lived through, i found myself remembering the good things. at these times i knew for sure that i was in love and that everything was okay. i suppose we all carry burdens : loneliness, mistrust, disappointment, anxiety...but he was there. at that time he would be my last first kiss and i could not bear or even comprehend the thought of him ever going way. i could have stayed awake with him for another hour or two even when i was dead tired. i could have but then there was the inevitable.

here's to your scooter parked in my driveway
here's to falling asleep on your chest
and then letting you out of my gate at one in the morning, although i could have stayed with you all night.
here's to arguing in the car.
here's to playing singstar with perfect strangers.
here's to rocking up at people's houses where i didn't even know the host
and eating their food.
here's to making out.
here's to picnics.
here's to the time you shut my eyes and lead me over that little stream on valentine's day.
here's to that song you sang to me, the song i haven't listened to since because it kills me.
here's to when you were sick and i tried to cure you, and ended up breaking the thermometer and having the mercury spill all over the kitchen counter.
here's to when you came on holiday with us and we got lost looking for thrift stores in knysna.
here's to long street.
here's to when you took me to the labia and i wore a black dress.
here's to when our hands were all sweaty.
here's to when you danced with me before you even knew my name.
and when we danced under the moon without music but we didn't need any.
here's to when you tried to dunk me in the pool.
here's to fashion policing.
here's to electro parties.
and then surfing, when i tried to look the part but that didn't matter and then the surfboard hit me on the back of the head.
here's to climbing over the fences onto the private jetty and spying on people in their catamarans.
then we kissed on the pier.
here's to that gatsby we shared.
here's to the flowers you brought me when i was sick.
here's to unexpected conversations.
here's to when you said you liked it when i sang.
here's to your cowboy costume.
and your impossible curly hair.
and when you hid away after you cut it all off.
here's to when i ate an oyster and you made a face.
here's to when we went ice skating and i took a spill on the ice and someone yelled you should hold my hand.
here's to the time at the spur where i asked them to sing you happy birthday even when it wasn't really your birthday and you got a balloon.
here's to when i got my exam results and you came with me.
here's to when i was your princess.
cheers to that.
and goodnight.

1 comment:

Maximilien alias Gamaliel said...

That make me feel wird .

I need time to think about that ...
I think i read enough of your blog for today .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...