Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Twenty: an intimate sort of isolation.

Having recently celebrated my 20th birthday, I have come to realise a few things about being a member of this prestigious decade in the course of life.

I can no longer read teen magazines without feeling like a perve. C'mon, seventeen-year-old boys and pimple cream? Nah.

Hormonal mood swings are no longer excuses for temper tantrums.

I feel responsible for everything, including tipping car guards and driving the speed limit. Also avoided a glass of wine at lunch as I had to drive myself home.

Curfews really shouldn't apply any longer. In your twenties with a safe-in-bed-and-sleeping cut off time? I don't think so.

You probably sleep in the same bed as your boyfriend now. And your parents kinda know, but can't really do anything about it.

Also, according to Erikson's eight stages of psychosocial development, I should now be entering the 'intimacy versus isolation' stage. I wonder, though, if it is possible to be both, and not either/or? In one's twenties one can experience a great deal of intimacy but at the same time feel pretty isolated too.

Perhaps I can disprove his theory.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...