Thursday, February 11, 2010

i am an island

i am
an.

island.

here's why i am one.

i walk through the halls in shiny shoes with shiny books and my hair smelling good.
he's got shiny books too, and she too.
and she.
and he.
and all of them do.
they're a hundred other islands all around me.

they take the bus down to to lower
and slide down to the pizza joint
and slip into lecture halls
and slip out again.

i am an island
i choose it.
i'd kid myself to think i'm any different
but if only i were.

i am an island because i am angry
i am an island in my hurt
though not an island, actually
because many others know hurt, too.

i'd sooner be an island than anything apart
bless my heart, my heart!
never-leave-you, never-hurt-you
the island won't weep.

to be alone is an island.
calamity i wrote.
i'm an island when i have to be
i'm an island, i'm a boat.

i am angry.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...